Energy and climate
The responsible use of energy for the sake of the climate – from production and transport right through to the point of sale.
Saving energy and using renewable energy – to protect the climate
In 2008, Coop formulated the vision of making the parent company CO2-neutral by 2023. Since then, we have reduced our annual CO2 emissions by 26.9 percent in absolute terms (as at the end of 2016) and are on target with our vision. We offer our customers a wide array of energy-efficient electrical appliances and climate protection is a priority in the manufacture and transportation of our products.
Climate change is one of the biggest challenges facing society. We want a national and international climate policy that reduces global increase in temperatures to a controllable level. This is why we have also supported the WWF's and Swiss cleantech’s climate campaigns.
Our energy and CO2 vision
Overall, we want to cut our absolute energy consumption by 20 percent each year until 2023, and increase the proportion of renewable energy we use to 80 percent. Our intention is to reduce our annual CO2 emissions by around 50 percent in absolute terms compared with 2008. Remaining CO2 emissions will be offset from 2023 onwards.
In order that we can continue implementing our ambitious vision year after year, we are focusing on the following areas:
- Points of sale: We strictly adhere to the Minergie standard in all our new and upgraded buildings and use LED technology and CO2 as a refrigerant. Furthermore, we are making ever greater use of renewable energies such as wood chips or heat pumps to generate heat.
- Transport: Wherever possible, we use rail to transport goods. For our trucks, we use environmentally-friendly fuels such as biodiesel from waste, biogas or electricity or hydrogen from renewable energies. Additionally, we are investing with Railcare in new, future-proof mobility systems, in the creation of a hydrogen filling station network and in projects such as «Cargo Sous Terrain».
- Manufacturing companies: We utilize the waste heat and cold generated by the manufacturing companies. Also, a growing number of renewable energy sources such as wood chips or heat pumps are used to generate heat.
We are on track to achieve our CO2 vision: in 2016, we increased the proportion of renewable energy sources to 71.6 percent. In absolute terms, this signified a further 2.3 percent reduction in CO2 emissions, meaning we have not only met, but exceeded the annual targets we had set for 2016. Since 2008, we have lowered our energy consumption in absolute terms by 7.5 percent.
Working with partners to protect the climate
As a founding member of WWF Climate Savers (and the former WWF Climate Group) and as a current Climate Partner of the WWF we make a specific contribution to climate protection. We have undertaken to cause as few CO2 emissions as possible. We also work with the Energy Agency of the Swiss Private Sector (EnAW) and the Swiss Agency for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (AEE). Moreover, we are a member of the Swiss government's scheme to promote energy efficiency and renewable energy sources, Swiss Energy. We therefore support climate protection with other measures:
- Renewable energies: We are making ever greater use of renewable energy sources, by using wood chip heating systems, heat pumps or district heating and we promote biogas plants and photovoltaic systems.
- Product range: We are also working towards greater energy efficiency in our supply chains. Since 2013, for example, the production of all Naturaline textiles has been completely CO2-neutral. Since 2009, we have been sourcing CO2-neutral vegetables from greenhouses heated by waste heat from a waste incinerator. Furthermore, we are the first retailer in Switzerland to label products transported by air and we offset the resulting CO2 emissions with high quality climate protection projects. Thanks to our own label sustainability brands and our seasonal ranges, we make it easy for our customers to shop consciously to protect the climate.
- Appliances: Under our Oecoplan own label brand, we offer a wide selection of energy-efficient appliances. The products bear the Topten seal of approval.