Recycled paper saves forests

Another effective measure to combat global deforestation is the use of recycled paper and cardboard. We systematically use these materials in our own label range as well as our packaging.

Using post-consumer paper eliminates the need for new wood in paper production. If the recycled paper is also produced by energy-efficient facilities, the ecological benefits are particularly great compared with paper made from virgin pulp. Therefore, all our Oecoplan paper products are made from recycled paper – including toilet paper, tissues, serviettes and paper towels.

Recycled wherever possible, otherwise FSC

If it is not possible to switch to recycled paper for certain products, we rely solely on FSC-certified pulp for our own-label brands. This rules out overexploitation and ensures that the forest owners comply with tough environmental standards.

New news on old paper

The Coop Press newspaper is printed almost entirely on recycled paper, using around 400 tonnes of material each week. Our paper carrier bags are made from 85 percent recycled paper, with the remaining 15 percent consisting of FSC-certified fresh pulp. Our internal paper consumption also satisfies the most stringent sustainability requirements. 99.7 percent of internally consumed paper is FSC-certified or made from recycled fibres.

Coop paper bags made from recycled paper
Coop paper bags made from recycled paper

Principles and topics