Straightforward aid in emergencies
We provide spontaneous and unbureaucratic aid in the event of natural disasters at home and abroad. In 2016, for instance, we donated CHF 200’000 to the Swiss Red Cross for hurricane-hit Haiti.
To ensure that the aid really does reach the people affected who are in urgent need of it, in our international aid we usually work with the Swiss Red Cross and Médecins Sans Frontières. These organizations handle local logistics, because they know where the need for tents, food, water or medicine is most acute.
More examples of our international aid:
- 2014: CHF 0,5 million of emergency aid for Eastern Europe.
- In Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia and Serbia, relatives and acquaintances of Coop employees were among those affected by the floods who had to be evacuated from inundated homes. In order to provide them with swift and effective help, we donated CHF 0,5 million to the Swiss Red Cross.
- 2013: CHF 1 million for typhoon victims in the Philippines.
- We donated CHF 1 million to the aid organizations Red Cross and Médecins Sans Frontières, who were deployed on the front line.
- 2010: CHF 1 million for people affected by the earthquake in Haiti.
- Through the Swiss Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), we donated 1 million Swiss francs for infrastructure and medicine.
- 2009: 80’000 family kits for Burkina Faso.
- 2006: CHF 250’000 for tsunami victims in Batticaloa.
- 2006: CHF 250’000 for the construction of new homes for tsunami victims.
- 2005: CHF 150’000 for earthquake victims in Kashmir and Pakistan.
- 2004: Plant stock worth CHF 15’000 for Dominican farmers in the wake of a devastating hurricane.
- 2003: 12 tonnes of food worth CHF 60’000 for people in need in Romania.
- 2002: CHF 150’000 for flood-hit Prague.
Aid in Switzerland
In Switzerland, too, people may find themselves in an emergency situation because of a storm. In such situations, the Coop Mountain Areas Sponsorship Programme offers rapid, unbureaucratic help. In 2014, for example, financial support was given to those affected by the severe weather in the Emmental region to help them rebuild the infrastructure and replace destroyed animal feed. CHF 189,000 was raised following an appeal for donations in the Coop member press, which increased the money available through Coop Aid for Mountain Regions to CHF 250,000.