In 1844 Dr Christopher Rawson Penfold and his wife Mary arrived in South Australia with a vine cutting and a bold vision.
The family purchased 500 acres of ‘the choicest land’ in early colonial South Australia and set about inventing tonics, brandies, and fortified wines made from grapes and Australian sunshine. From unknown soils in a faraway land, a world class winery grew.
By the time Mary Penfold retired in 1884 Penfolds was producing 1/3 of South Australia’s wine. Mary set an agenda that continues today, experimenting with new methods in wine production.
In 1948, Max Schubert became the company’s first Chief Winemaker. A loyal company man and true innovator, Schubert would propel Penfolds onto the global stage with his experimentation of long-lasting wines - the creation of Penfolds Grange in the early 1950s. In 1959 (while Schubert was perfecting his Grange experiment in secret), the tradition of ‘bin wines’ began.
The success of Penfolds has been driven by the generations of visionaries and innovators. From the beginning in 1844 to today, the merging of science, art and innovation has driven Penfolds to become one of Australia’s most famed and respected winemakers.