Wolfgang Blass was born in Germany in 1934, but emigrated to Australia in 1961, to settle in Nuriootpa in the Barossa Valley. Among other roles, he was in charge of sparkling wine production at the Kaiser Stuhl winery and, from 1969, was director and oenologist at Tolley's. He created his own range of wines – and with it the first independent winegrowing business in Australia – in 1966: Wolf Blass Wines. He chose the bilyara (the Aboriginal word for eaglehawk) as the company's symbol and developed individual wines of various styles under his own label.
The label was soon followed by his own estate: in 1973, Wolfgang Blass founded the Wolf Blass winery in the Barossa Valley. He began a collaboration with legendary winemaker John Glaetzer, which quickly proved successful. In 1975, Wolf Blass released the first vintage of a Riesling which was to become Australia's top-selling Riesling.
The Wolf Blass winery has since been bought by Australian beverages group Foster's Group and, today, the wine division is operated as part of Treasury Wine Estates Ltd. However, Wolf Blass is still the biggest wine producer in the Barossa Valley.