The Castillon hills, the site of the battle that put an end to the Hundred Years' War between England and France in 1453, forms the natural continuation of the limestone slopes of Saint-Émilion. Wines from here used to be called "Près Saint-Émilion" (near Saint-Émilion). To this day they are similar in style, possibly a little smoother and thus more accessible than Saint-Émilion wines – but above all far less expensive, often making them real bargains. This is especially true of the wines from Château de Laussac, which is owned by the Robin family.
The Robins are a long-established Libourne family of wine brokers, wine merchants and estate owners. In addition to Château de Laussac, the "Vignobles Robin" also include the well-known Château Rol Valentin estate in Saint-Émilion and Clos Vieux Taillefer in Pomerol. Laussac, the largest of the three, is managed by Alexandra and Nicolas Robin, advised since 2004 by prominent oenologist Michel Rolland. 28 hectares of vines yield five different bottlings.
Château de Laussac itself comes from 15 hectares of vines growing on classic loam-and-limestone soils, 75% of which are planted with Merlot and 25% with Cabernet franc. They are cultivated in accordance with integrated farming rules. Grapes are harvested by hand, and the wines are matured for 12 to 16 months in oak barriques. A joy to drink even in its youth, this spicy, full-bodied wine can also be laid down for several years.