The House of Louis Max was founded in 1859 in Nuits-Saint-Georges, in the heart of the Côte d'Or, by Georgian emigrant Louis Max. Over four generations it grew into a respected business. Relationships with winemakers were built up over the years, guaranteeing the supply of high-quality grapes year after year. Louis Max is négociant, éleveur and propriétaire – merchant, grower and owner. The house buys grapes, acquires wines for ageing in its own cellar, and vinifies grapes from its own vineyards. Its aim is to produce elegant wines that express their different terroirs. To achieve this, grapes are fermented separately according to parcel and only blended as a finished wine.